God Comfort This Zealous Devotee


Included in this issue is a news-story which was published in Urdu in Al Hakam on 21 June 1918 titled “Hazrat Khalifatul Masih II’s Return to Qadian”. The story covers the arrival of Hazrat Mirza Bashiruddin Mahmud Ahmadra in Qadian from a journey. To quench the curiosity that may arise as to where Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IIra had come back from, we include herewith a brief outline of the journey undertaken by Huzoorra.

Going through the various issues of Al Hakam and Al Fazl of May 1918, we know that Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IIra was suffering poor health: “Hazrat Khalifatul Masih’s health is getting better”, reports Al Fazl on 4 May. 

“He offered Zuhr and Asr prayers while seated, on 1 May, in Masjid Mubarak. Doctors have advised that he travel to a seaside city for a change of climate. He has travelled to Lahore on 3 May for the time being. Where it has been decided to head to from there will be reported later.”

Al Fazl, 7 May 1918: 

“Hazrat Khalifatul Masih II, along with his family, departed from here [Qadian] on 3 May, between Asr and Maghrib. He climbed down the stairs – with the support of Maulana Syed Muhammad Sarwar Shah Sahib and Maulvi Abdur Rahman Jutt – to embark a palanquin. Just outside the town, due to discomfort, he moved into the cart of Hazrat Nawab [Muhammad Ali Khan] Sahib. The cart, moving at a very slow pace, arrived at Batala at around half-past-nine [in the evening] where they stayed overnight and departed for Lahore the following morning. Accompanying Huzoor are Hazrat Ummul Momineen [Hazrat Nusrat Jehan Begum Sahibara], Mirza Bashir Ahmad Sahib MA, Sheikh Abdur Rehman Misri and Dr Mir Muhammad Ismail Sahib, etc. Huzoor has appointed Maulana Sher Ali Sahib as Amir of Qadian in his absence.”

Al Fazl, 11 May 1918: 

“Hazrat Khalifatul Masih II, may Allah strengthen his hand, arrived at Lahore on the morning of the fourth [of May] and stayed in the Ahmadiyya Hostel until 7pm. Two physicians were consulted on the fifth and small electric currents were passed through his nose and throat [as a form of treatment]. Physicians have suggested going to a coastal place rather than a hill. Huzoor departed for Delhi on the seventh on a night-train where he intends to stay for a day to consult Hakim Ajmal Khan Sahib and will then proceed to a place called Bandra in Bombay.”

Al Fazl, 14 May 1918: 

“News of Hazrat Khalifatul Masih’s safe arrival has been received through cable which indicates recovering heath. Huzoor offered Jumua prayers with the Bombay Jamaat.

“No permanent address to reach Hazrat Khalifatul Masih is known as yet, but letters can be addressed to the following address: C/o Hakim Khalil Ahmad Sahib, Memon Building, Parsi Statue Post 8, Bombay” 

[Ahmadiyya ARC is conducting a research to establish the exact address. Thus far, they are of the opinion that the Parsi Statue refers to the 154-year-old Khada Parsi Statue. Memon Building has not yet been located. We request readers to assist in this matter, should they have any established information.]

Al Fazl, 18 May records reports about Huzoor’sra health from 8 May to 16 May mentioning a rapid recovery towards good health. 

(To be continued…)

No posts to display


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here